Which source of vitamin C should I consume?
Mar 24, 2020
Do you know that you need to replenish vitamin C every day? The average adult has a body pool of 1.2–2.0 g of vitamin C. Unlike most mammalian, human is unable to synthesize vitamin C in the body. Thus, vitamin C is one of the essential dietary components. Inadequate intake could lead to vitamin C deficiency.
Importance of Vitamin C
Vitamin C is more than just a water-soluble vitamin. It is a potent antioxidant that
- Protect the body against free radical damage
- Strengthen the immune system
- Speed up the recovery from common colds and flu
- Aid in iron absorption
- Help in collagen formation
Hence, it is vital to get sufficient vitamin C every day.
Where to get Vitamin C?
Vitamin C is widely available in fresh fruits and vegetables. According to Recommended Nutrient Intake (RNI) for Malaysia, it is recommended to consume at least five servings of fruits and vegetables daily. You might be eating different fruits or vegetables daily, but do you know how much vitamin C are you consuming?
|Food||Vitamin C content (mg)|
|Green bell pepper (Large)|
Selecting your vitamin C
|Ascorbic Acid||Buffered Vitamin C|
|Description||The basic form of vitamin C||Vitamin C in mineral ascorbate form|
|Features||Acidic||Less acidic – gentle on stomach|
Vitamin C is the least stable of all vitamins and easily destroyed during processing and storage. Thus, a higher dosage of vitamin C through supplementation may need to be considered for achieving optimum health functions from it. Commercially, vitamin C is available in various forms to fulfill the customer’s needs.
Where to get Vitamin C?
Choosing vitamin C that fits your needs can be very challenging. BiO-LiFE Nat C is providing extra ingredients for additional health benefits. It comes with 6-in-1 vitamin C formulation with the therapeutic dosage for a speedy healing process. BiO-LiFE Nat C is a type of buffered vitamin C product with a mixture of ascorbic acid, sodium ascorbate, and calcium ascorbate, which is gentle to your stomach. Moreover, it is rich with natural sources of vitamin C and antioxidants like bioflavonoids, rutin, hesperidin, rosehip extract, and acerola extract.
|Nat C||Buffered vitamin C||
Let’s choose BiO-LiFE Nat C to support your daily requirement of vitamin C!
- Tee et al., 1997. Nutrient composition of Malaysian Food.
- Padayatty, S.J., 2003. Vitamin C as an antioxidant: evaluation of its role in disease prevention. J Am Coll Nutr., 22(1):18-35
- Bruno, G., 2002. Vitamin C and bioflavonoids. Huntington College of
Health Sciences, available at https://www.huhs.edu/
- Patel, K., & Patel, D. K. (2019). The Beneficial Role of Rutin, A Naturally Occurring Flavonoid in Health Promotion and Disease Prevention: A Systematic Review and Update. Bioactive Food as Dietary Interventions for Arthritis and Related Inflammatory Diseases, 457–479.
- Ganeshpurkar, A., & Saluja, A. (2019). The pharmacological potential of hesperidin. Indian Journal of Biochemistry and Biophysics (IJBB), 56(4), 287-300.