ASK OUR EXPERT
Does diabetes may lead to cataract and glaucoma?
Yes, people with diabetes are 2 times more likely to develop cataracts and glaucoma as compared to non-diabetics.
How lutein and zeaxanthin helps on eye diseases?
Lutein and zeaxanthin are known as natural eye protectors. They have the highest concentration in the eyes especially the macula. Consuming sufficient lutein and zeaxanthin can help on eye disease prevention. According to studies, these can reduce risk of cataract (22%)1 and age-related macular disease (43%)2 by absorbing harmful light rays (blue light and ultraviolet light), reducing oxidative damage and inflammation of eyes.
1. Chasan-Taber L, Willett WC, Seddon JM et al. 1999. A prospective study of carotenoid and vitamin A intakes and risk of cataract extraction in US women. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 70(4): 509-516.
2. Seddon JM, Ajani UA, Sperduto RD et al. 1994. Dietary carotenoids, vitamins A, C, and E, and advanced age-related macular degeneration. Eye Disease Case-Control Study Group. JAMA. 272(18):1413-20.
How do I relieve fatigue eye?
Any activity that requires intense eye usage, such as reading, driving and facing long hours at a computer screen can cause fatigue. Ways to help relieve fatigue eye symptoms include:
- Performing eye soothing exercises
- Adjust the display setting on the screen
- Increase the amount of light in the room when reading
- Get enough of sleep
- Get sufficient nutrients which needed by the eye
How eyebright helps in relieving conjunctivitis?
Conjunctivitis or known as pink eye is an inflammation or swelling of the conjunctiva. The conjunctiva is the thin clear tissue that lies over the white part of the eye and lines the inside of the eyelid. Conjunctivitis can be caused by viruses, bacteria, allergies, and irritants.
Folk medicine commonly uses eyebright to treat eye disorders like conjunctivitis. Eyebright exhibits numerous biological activities, including anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, antimicrobial, anticancer, antifungal, and antiviral activities.
Eyebright helps to dry the excess fluid produced due to inflammation in the eye and prevents the occurrence of edema in epithelium and thus relieving conjunctivitis.
What are the tips to maintain eye health?
- Good nutrition – nutrients like lutein, zeaxanthin, omega-3 fatty acids, vitamin C and vitamin E are important for keeping our eyes healthy
- Quit smoking – smoking has been linked to an increased risk of developing age-related macular degeneration (ARMD), cataract and optic nerve damage, which can lead to blindness
- Wear sunglasses – sunglasses helps to protect our eyes from sun’s ultraviolet rays
- Use protective eyewear – protective eyewear includes safety glasses or goggles specially designed to provide the correct protection for certain activity
- Rest your eyes – spending long hours on computer or phone screen can make our eyes fatigued, try to rest your eyes for every 20 minutes, look 20 feet away for 20 seconds
- Regular eye exam – a comprehensive eye exam helps to protect our eyesight and diagnose the early signs of eye diseases
Are you at risk of Computer vision syndrome?
March is Workplace Eye Wellness Month. We usually perceive that working outdoor is more prone to eye injuries. Ironically, working in an office can be just as hazardous to your eyesight!
The most common eye problem is Computer Vision Syndrome (CVS)! Learn more on CVS and how natural herbs like bilberry, eyebright and lycium helps in nourishing your eye at “http://www.biolife.com.my/health-tips/eye-health/computer-vision-syndrome”
Bio-Vizion, a nutritional supplement with lutein and zeaxanthin
With the natural lutein and zeaxanthin from Marigold flower extract, Bio-Vizion can help to protect eyes against oxidative damage caused by blue and near-UV light radiation in the macula.
Besides, it contains natural beta-carotene, vitamins C and E, zinc and selenium which can help to protect cell membrane and retina against photochemical change.
With these, Bio-Vizion can be one of the options for patients with glaucoma. Read more at http://www.biolife.com.my/productcategory/eye-health/bio-vizion to know more about Bio-Vizion.
Lutein & Zeaxanthin, Natural Sunglasses for Glaucoma Patients
The pressure inside the eye among glaucoma patients increase gradually and thus damaging the blood vessels that feed the retina and optic nerve.
Lutein and zeaxanthin act as our eyes’ internal sunglasses by absorbing harmful blue light that will damage our eye. Besides, it helps to scavenge free radicals and protect retina and optic nerve from oxidative damage.
Bio-Vizion with natural lutein and zeaxanthin from Marigold flower extract helps improve the vision and protect the eyes.
Read more at http://www.biolife.com.my/productcategory/eye-health/bio-vizion to know more about Bio-Vizion.
My father has type 2 diabetes and he is complaining that he has a vision problem. Why does this occur? Is this problem related to his diabetes problem? What should he do?
All patients with diabetes are at risk of developing diabetic retinopathy. Diabetic retinopathy is the only eye condition caused by diabetes. Chronic high blood glucose level can cause damage to the retinal capillaries, leading to capillary leakage and capillary blockage. Diabetic retinopathy may lead to loss of vision and eventually blindness. Besides, diabetes might aggravate other eye complications such as cataract, double vision, glaucoma, and loss of focusing ability.
Although diabetic retinopathy can cause blindness, most blindness is preventable. Diabetic retinopathy is usually asymptomatic in its early stages. The only way to prevent diabetes retinopathy is through taking a regular eye examination to determine the condition of the retina and take the appropriate action. Diabetic patients should have a comprehensive eye examination at least once a year.Patients with diabetic retinopathy may need to take eye examination more frequently.
Treatment of diabetic retinopathy varies based on the stage of the disease.The treatment includes laser treatment (photocoagulation), injections of medication into the eyes, and operation to remove blood or scar tissue from the eyes (vitrectomy). Diabetes management can help to avoid or slow the development of diabetic retinopathy. It is important for diabetes patients to take good control of their blood glucose level, blood pressure, and cholesterol. This diabetes management can be attained by maintaining a healthy lifestyle and undergo medication as required.
Another alternative way to manage diabetic complications is by supplementing with potent antioxidant known as Pycnogenol®. Pycnogenol® is a natural plant extract originating from the bark of the maritime pine that grows along the coast of southwest France and is found to contain a unique blend of procyanidins, bioflavonoids and phenolic acids that offer extensive health benefits, especially for diabetics.
I have been experiencing eye soreness and itchiness for about 3 months. I sleep for about 8 hours everyday but the tiredness and redness never subside. Please help.
From your description, you might be having dry eyes. Dry eyes are caused by lack of tears which are necessary for the normal lubrication of your eyes. This is the reason why you are experiencing soreness, irritation and redness. There may be also difficulty reading for long periods of time, burning and excessive tearing.
I have been wearing contact lens for a couple of months and recently, I experience eye discomfort and dryness. Almost every 30 minutes I will need to apply eye drops to keep my eye moist. How can I put an end to this or at least reduce the frequency?
My 63-year-old mother in law has just undergone cataract surgery on her left eye. Now, I am worried about the vision in her right eye. What would you advise?
- Wear ultraviolet protective sunglasses when you are outdoors.
- Individuals with diabetes should keep their blood sugar level under control as they are more likely to develop a cataract.
- Increase consumption of green leafy vegetables, legumes and berries.