ASK OUR EXPERT
Why Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) is more common in women?
The reasons why women exhibit greater vulnerability to IBS are yet to be explored in detail. However, IBS is suggested to likely associated with female sex hormones. In fact, the variability of female reproductive hormones across the menstrual cycle may influence the gastrointestinal motility. Generally, during the first to second day of period, women will experience abdominal pain. After the ovulation phase, bloating and constipation will tend to occur.
What is colony-forming units (CFU)?
It is a unit used in microbiology to estimate the number of viable bacteria or fungal cells in a sample. While in probiotic supplements, it is often stated in the label to denote the strength of the probiotic. In the market, probiotics products can range from million to billion CFU per every capsule/tablet/sachet/bottle. For example, each capsule of Probi Lp299v contains 10 billion CFU of single strain probiotic Lactobacillus plantarum Lp299v
Why probiotic is important for our immune system?
There are about 70% of our immune system is located at our gut. Therefore, it is important for us to keep our gut healthy. Studies have shown a healthy gut flora is essential in keeping our gut healthy. Probiotic such as Lactobacillus and Bifidobacterium are friendly gut bacteria that help to protect us against bad bacteria.
Do you know that bloating is one of the symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)?
Bloating does not limit to occasional holiday feast only. In fact, it always happen in our daily life. Here are the 3 common causes of bloating and how you can overcome them:
- Overeating is one of the most common causes of bloating. Eating smaller portions can ease the pain from bloating.
- Eating rich and fatty food can make you feel uncomfortably stuffed. This is because fat takes longer to digest than protein or carbohydrates, thus it keeps the stomach stay full longer. Limiting fatty foods in your everyday diet can help to avoid bloating.
- Eating too fast adds to the risk of bloating after a meal. Take your time and eat slowly. Satiety signals can take up to 20 minutes to reach the brain. Furthermore, eating slowly is also a good way to prevent overeating.
This information is brought to you by Probi.LP299V™.
Are you frequently suffering from bloating, constipation, diarrhea, flatulence and indigestion?
A well-studied probiotic strain Lactobacillus plantarum 299v is clinically proven to:
- promote a healthy digestion
- reduce bloating and gassiness
- relieve abdominal discomfort
- normalize bowel movement
How does MultiStrain PROBIOtix help in atopic dermatitis?
It has been observed that gut microflora of atopic dermatitis children is characterized by a reduced neonatal bifidobacteria to clostridia ratio, caused by augmented clostridia and reduced bifidobacteria colonization. MultiStrain PROBIOtix helps to relieve atopic dermatitis through:
- Anti-microbial activity – Lactobacillus fermentum PCC increase production of specific antibodies to prevent infection happen during eczema (Prescott et al., 2005)
- Immune function modulator – Lactobacillus paracasei subspecies paracasei casei 431 has been proven to play a role in Th1/Th2 balance, which is vital to control inflammatory and allergic reactions in human body (Baerlen et al. 2011)
- Prescott, et al. 2005. Clinical effects of probiotics are associated with increased interferon-γ responses in very young children with atopic dermatitis. Clin Exp Allergy, 35: 1557-1564.
- Baarlen, P.V. et al., 2011. Human mucosal in vivo transcriptome responses to three lactobacilli indicate how probiotics may modulate human cellular pathway. Proc Natl Acad Sci, 108: 4562-4569.
How many people are affected by IBS?
IBS is affecting 10% to 20% of people worldwide (Baerlen et al. 2011).
Source: Baarlen, P.V., et al. 2011. Human mucosal in vivo transcriptome responses to three lactobacilli indicate how probiotics may modulate human cellular pathway. Proc Natl Acad Sci, 108: 4562-4569.
Lactobacillus plantarum LP299v is taxonomically defined. What does it mean actually?
Lactobacillus plantarum LP299v is taxonomically defined as below:
- Genus refer to Lactobacillus
- Species refer to plantarum
- Strain refer tp 299v
The strain number relates to the clinical studies conducted only on LP299v, hence help us to distinguish LP299v among other Lactobacillus plantarum.
Lactobacillus plantarum 299v has been clinically proven to restore gut health and significantly decrease both frequency and severity of irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) symptoms such as pain, bloating, incomplete defecation and stools frequency at 4 weeks.
How long it take for S.salivarius K12 to observe the improvement in relieving bad breath?
Clinical studies have shown that by supplementing S.salivarius K12, it capable of producing an antibacterial substance to kill harmful bacteria in the mouth, a significant reduction in volatile sulfur compounds (VSC) can be observed in day seventh(1). VSC is the index used to measure the oral malodour.
What is Streptococcus salivarius K12?
The clinically tested probiotic Streptococcus salivarius K12, one of the most numerous beneficial bacteria naturally found in our oral cavity, accounting for 15-40% of total population in healthy people. It helps to improve a beneficial microflora in the oral cavity.