The FOUR Prebiotics Health Benefits that You Wouldn’t Want to Miss
Nov 19, 2021
Do you know that adults’ common digestive issues are majorly due to decreasing amounts of good intestine bacteria? It affects normal bowel movement, nutrient absorption, overall wellness, and immunity. Besides taking probiotics for improvement and maintenance of good bacteria, it is also necessary to get sufficient prebiotic as further support. What is prebiotic? It is the food to feed the intestinal bacteria. It is fibre, but NOT ALL fibre is prebiotic1,2. Generally, it is the food ingredient that 1-3:
- Not digested and absorbed in the upper gastrointestinal tract
- Available for selective strains of intestinal microflora to ferment, bringing beneficial effect on host’s health
- Selectively stimulates the growth and/or activity of intestinal bacteria that potentially associated with health and well-being
Adequate dietary consumption of prebiotic is conveniently measured by taking supplementary products and can be found in a few names, such as inulin or oligofructose. Why should you care about prebiotics? Here are the four health benefits that should be kept in mind.
1. Increase the Good, Decrease the Bad
Prebiotics promote survival and growth of good bacteria Lactobacilli & Bifidobacteria; which then compete with and restrict the amounts of unfavourable bacteria.
2. Produce Beneficial Metabolites
Prebiotic fermentation produces short-chain fatty acids (SCFAs), a substance that helps to maintain the pH value of a healthy intestinal tract, encourage normal bowel movement, improve intestinal barrier function and reduce digestive inflammation.
3. Improve Immune Defence
Over 70% of immune activity happens in the digestive system. Prebiotic support better immune activity and response via production of SCFAs and increment of good bacteria count
4. Increase Minerals Absorption
Prebiotic help to enhance absorption of minerals, particularly calcium and magnesium, which are critical for healthy bone structure and decrease the risk of low bone density
As a recommendation, you can get inulin and oligofructose – some of the most extensively studied prebiotics, with many clinically proven health advantages supporting digestive health and overall wellness. In conjunction with continuous research and findings on prebiotics positive health effects, and stimulatory benefits when combined with probiotics, it is worth investing now for regular consumption, and as the long-term goal for optimal digestive health.
For more information, visit A.B. Adult Gold Pre&Pro
A.B. Adult Gold Pre&Pro is a synbiotics supplement containing clinically studied prebiotics inulin-oligofructose that proven to improve growth of beneficial bacteria and nutrient
- Salvin J. 2013. Fiber and Prebiotics: Mechanisms and Health Benefits. Nutrients. 5 (4): 1417-1435
- Markowiak P and Slizewska K. 2017. Effects of Probiotics, Prebiotics and Synbiotics on Human Health. Nutrients. 9, 1021
- Carlson JL et al. 2018. Health effects and Sources of Prebiotic Dietary Fiber. Current Developments in Nutrition. 2: nzy005