5 Superfoods to Maintain Good Digestive Health
May 22, 2023
“Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food.” ― Hippocrates.
It is always wise to be mindful of the choice of food we take. Adopting a healthier diet can maintain good health and prevent us from falling sick. Let’s explore some superfoods that are highly accessible around us in Malaysia.
Yogurt is an excellent food as it may contain beneficial probiotics that help to support digestive health and the immune system. A decent serving size can fuel one with essential nutrients like protein, calcium, and vitamins – a good choice for breakfast to jump-start the day.
Apart from the rich amount of nutrients, apple is also known for a higher content of pectin. Pectin absorbs water, thus normalizing stools and bowel movement. Pectin is also prebiotic that feeds good gut bacteria, keeping the gut healthy at all times.
Papaya contains papain, a digestive enzyme that helps to break down protein. Both papain and fibers in papaya may ease digestive symptoms like constipation and bloating. Moreover, papaya also comes with a high level of antioxidants like vitamins A, C, and E which are helpful to general health.
4. Dark Green vegetables
Dark green vegetables like spinach, broccoli, and kale are a great source of magnesium, which helps to improve bowel movement. A study also showed that some elements from green leafy vegetables aid digestion and ward off harmful bacteria.
Tempeh has been a popular, affordable, and healthy protein source for the longest time. Furthermore, tempeh is also an excellent source of probiotics that helps to alleviate irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) symptoms, prevent diarrhea, decrease bloating, and more.
- Your complete guide to choosing a yogurt to meet your needs https://www.health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/your-complete-guide-to-choosing-a-yogurt-to-meet-your-needs
- The best breakfast foods for health https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/322811
- 10 Promising Benefits and Uses of Apple Pectin https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/apple-pectin
- 8 surprising benefits of eating apples, including improving gut health https://www.insider.com/guides/health/diet-nutrition/benefits-of-apples
- Health Benefits of Papaya https://www.webmd.com/diet/health-benefits-papaya#:~:text=Papayas%20contain%20high%20levels%20of,that%20lead%20to%20heart%20disease.
- Here’s Why Leafy Green Vegetables Are Key For Good Digestion https://www.sciencealert.com/scientists-discover-how-a-weird-sugar-in-leafy-greens-protects-your-gut-from-bad-bacteria
- Top 5 health benefits of tempeh https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/howto/guide/health-benefits-tempeh