Probiotics: A Key to Maintaining Good Gut Health of The Elderly
Dec 7, 2022
With age, there is decline in smooth functioning of digestive system. This leads to problems such as constipation, diarrhoea, bloating and indigestion.
To counter this, it’s essential for one to understand how the gut functions and how probiotics and prebiotics play a major role in keeping elderly men and women’s gut healthy.
What is the role of gut microbiota in digestive health?
A colonic community of bacteria aids in immune health, digestive health and other benefits that ensure a smooth functioning of our body. Some of these bacteria cause diseases, while others fight it.
The gut microbiota in humans evolve throughout life and appear to play a pivotal role in both health and disease. Some of the signs of an imbalance in the gut microbiota include digestive issues like slowing down of gut rhythm causing indigestion, bloating, belching, heartburn, constipation, diarrhoea to even irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) amongst other conditions which further affect the body’s immune system. To maintain this balance in elderly’s digestive health, probiotics are helpful. They help to boost immune health, fight inflammation and potentially have beneficial effects on cholesterol apart from addressing digestive issues.
How does age pose a change in microbiota and immunity?
Gut health depends upon various factors such as food intake to lifestyle habits and several other factors including age. In old age, the gut microbiome is no longer the same as it was when one is younger. The bacteria inside the gut become less diverse, and beneficial microbes, like Lactobacillus and Bifidobacterium, lose ground. To put together, this results in a decline in cognitive and immune function, thereby resulting in the body’s frailty. This puts forth a case for a diet designed with prebiotics & probiotics for the elderly’s digestive health.
Ageing gut and the role of probiotics, prebiotics and synbiotics
- Probiotics are helpful microorganisms, sufficient amounts of which reach the intestine to exert positive health effects. Numerous probiotic microorganisms like Lactobacillus plantarum 299v, Lactobacillus rhamnosus GG, Lactobacillus reuteri, Bifidobacterium, and certain strains of Lactobacillus casei or the Lactobacillus acidophilus group are used in probiotic food/supplements.
- Prebiotic is a non-digestible fibre ingredient that allows specific changes, both in the composition and/or activity in the gut microbiota. Prebiotic acts like a fertilizer which helps in the nourishment of the microbiota that benefits a senior citizen’s well-being and overall health. Inulin-type fructans and some fermentable chicory fructans, are the major prebiotics used.
- Collaborative combinations of probiotics and prebiotics are called synbiotic. They have proven to increase mineral absorption mainly that of calcium and magnesium thus showing their importance in the gut health of elderly people.
What are the home remedies that include probiotics in the diet of elderly?
- There are probiotic supplements available in convenient options such as tablets, sachets, chewable probiotics, which help to maintain the gut health.
- Foods such as yoghurt, homemade buttermilk, kefir, and pickles are good sources of probiotics which helps maintain good gut health even in the elderly.
- Foods such as beans, asparagus, onions, green bananas and other fermentable fiber sources augment a good digestive health. Apart from these, many whole foods provide a nourishing environment in which healthy bacteria thrive.
Those choosing probiotic supplements over probiotic food should best read instructions or consult physician or pharmacist. Having said that, trusted brands should be well-identified and are generally safe. For people with poor immune system, a risk–benefit consideration should be made. This population tends to have the greatest potential benefit from probiotics, and risk (usually infection) remains small. In the unlikely event an infection should happen, it can be easily treated.
Restoring good gut health in elderly with BiO-LiFE A.B. Adult Gold Pre & Pro
BiO-LiFE A.B. Adult Gold Pre & Pro contains 10 billion CFU clinically tested probiotics Lactobacillus plantarum LP01 and Bifidobacterium lactis BB12, and prebiotics inulin-oligofructose that are beneficial for digestive health. The combination of prebiotics and probiotics produce a synergistic effect in restoring the balance of intestinal microflora, eliminating the bad bacteria. The synbiotic formulation helps to improve digestion, boost nutrient absorption and relieve constipation. Include A.B. Adult Gold Pre & Pro as part of your secrets for healthy aging!
Enjoy RM8 off with Shopee promo code BIOLAGPRM for purchase of A.B. Adult Gold Pre & Pro 30s, valid till 31 Dec 2022.