Home Remedy for Diarrhea
Sep 3, 2021
There will be a time when we experience abdominal pain, bloating, and the urgency to defecate loose stool for 3 or more times in a day. We call this inconvenient experience as diarrhea, and it will affect our capability to perform any activities within 24 hours or maybe in a few days. Commonly, it may happen due to food poisoning, food intolerance, or antibiotic consumption.
If you are facing such condition, what will you do? Some will prefer to meet their doctor or go to the nearby pharmacy to take anti-diarrheal medication, charcoal tablet, and oral rehydration salt (ORS). Some will go with the home remedies like avoiding spicy and dairy food, drinking plenty of water, and taking probiotic.
What is Saccharomyce boulardii ?
Did You Know?
Saccharomyce boulardii or Saccharomyces cerevisiae (boulardii) HANSEN CBS 5926 is a friendly yeast probiotic which can help to prevent and treat diarrhea.
Saccharomyce boulardii had been first isolated on the skin of lychee and mangosteen by a French microbiologist, Henry Boulard. Derived from the founder’s name, thus it is known as Saccharomyces boulardii. Then, the yeast probiotic had been extensively studied, demonstrating convincing results as below:
1. Reducing the duration of diarrhea1
2. Reducing the incidence of traveler’s diarrhea2
3. Preventing an antibiotic associated diarrhea (AAD)3
4. Improving the side effects of H. pylori infection therapy especially diarrhea4,5
This is possible as the size of Saccharomyces boulardii is larger than bacteria, making it capable to compete and displace harmful bacteria. Besides, with its sticky outer surface, Saccharomyces boulardii will attach to diarrhea bacteria such as E. coli and Salmonella to remove them from the digestive system.
Although diarrhea may be resolved and self-treated at home, kindly seek medical attention if there is:
- No improvement after 2 days
- A fever of more than 39 oC
- Severe abdominal or rectal pain
- Bloody or black stools
- Any signs of dehydration (excessive thirst, severe weakness, dizziness, or dark-colored urine)
MEGA-Probio Sachets contains 250mg of Saccharomyces boulardii
For more information, visit Mega Probio Sachets
- Htwe K, et al. 2008. Effect of Saccharomyces boulardii in the treatment of acute watery diarrhea in Myanmar children: a randomized controlled study. Am J Trop Med Hyg 78:214–216
- Kollaritsch HH, et al. 1989. Prevention of traveler’s diarrhea: Comparison of different non-antibiotic preparations. Münch Med Wschr. 130:671–674.
- Czerucka D et al. 2007. Review article: yeast as probiotics – Saccharomyces Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 26(6):767-78.
- Zojaji H et al. 2013. The efficacy & safety of adding the probiotic Saccharomyces boulardii standard triple therapy for eradication of H. pylori: a randomized controlled trial. Gastroenterol Hepatol Bed Bench. 6 (Suppl. 1): S99-S104.
- Szajewska H et al. 2010. The effects of Saccharomyces boulardii supplementation on H pylori eradication rates and side effects during treatment. Alimentary Pharmacology and Therapeutics. 32: 1069-1079.