Child constipation can be a cause of worry for you dear parents; learn what you can do to help your child!
Nov 7, 2022
Child constipation is a common digestive health issue. Constipation in kids can be defined as having hard, rough and dry bowel movements. It is also a condition wherein there are fewer than 3 bowel movements in a week.
Constipation causes in children can be attributed to poor diet, inadequate water consumption and low amounts of dietary fibre in the diet.
What is a healthy bowel movement for a child?
How can I find out if my child has constipation?
Symptoms of irregular bowel movements:
- Hard and dry stools
- Difficult and painful in passing stools
- Abdominal pain, cramps and nausea
- Poor appetite
- Cranky behaviour
- Rectal bleeding
As a parent, you’ll be able to observe some or all the following constipation symptoms in your child early and take actions, before it becomes a serios constipation problem.
- Clay-like stool consistency
- Hard pellets of stool
- A hard belly
- Streaks of blood in stool
- An increased strain and pain while passing the stool
When should I call my doctor?
It is important to follow a systematic strategy if you want to detoxify your body. For example, if you want to begin by detoxifying your gut, then you will have to aim at consuming foods and drinks that promote gut health including:
- When your child has a bloody or black stool
- When the child is constipated on a daily basis
- If your child has a temperature of more than 37.5° Celsius
- If there is immense dehydration and sudden weight loss
What type of child constipation treatment at home can a parent resort to?
There are several methods to relieve child constipation at home, thereby improving healthy bowel movement:
- Increase fluid intake of the child and make sure they consume 3 to 4 glasses or 1-2 litres of water on an average every day. Increase fluid intake is key for regular bowel movements. Water and milk are great options for keeping the child hydrated. Occasional freshly squeezed juice from prunes or peaches can help speed up a child’s colon contractions and improve bowel movements.
- Add a lot more fibre to your kid’s diet. Increase the consumption of solid high-fibre foods like broccoli, pears, prunes, peaches and peeled apples. Fibre makes the bowel movement easier.
- Avoid unhealthy or junk food. Offer grains, oats, quinoa, whole grain breads, crackers and bran cereals which add a lot of bulk to stools that could help to pass motion easily.
- Exercise is also an important tool to speed up digestion in a kid which helps in moving food through the body more quickly.
- Massage therapy has also proven to be useful. Gentle massages on the stomach and lower abdominal area can stimulate the bowel.
- Probiotic supplements especially synbiotic formulation with both probiotics and prebiotics can help to restore a balance microflora in your child’s gut. The bowel is home to a population of good bacteria that helps you process, digest and break down food particles and convert them into nutrients and energy for your body to function. Maintaining good gut health is crucial for your child, as it is where the body receives the nutrients required for optimal growth and development and avoiding digestive problems including constipation.
What is synbiotic formulation?
BiO-LiFE A. B. Junior Pre & Pro is the first synbiotic formulation with 3 clinically tested ingredients: Lactobacillus acidophilus LA5 (probiotic), Bifidobacterium lactis BB12 (probiotic), and inulin (prebiotic). Probiotics act as soldier to fight off excessive bad bacteria which lies in the colon that disrupts the balanced intestinal flora. Prebiotics are the food which promotes the growth of good bacteria and they are high fibre-food that promotes regular bowel movement.
BiO-LiFE A. B. Junior Pre & Pro provides TRIPLE PROTECTION for your kids:
- Improve bowel movement and reduce constipation
- Better nutrient absorption for better growth and bone health
- Better protection by modulating the immune system and reducing the number of sick days
BiO-LiFE A. B. Junior Pre & Pro is suitable for growing kids aged 2 to 12 years old who are under or after antibiotic treatment, having poor digestion and appetite, and suffering from a weak immune system, allergies, lactose intolerance, and gastrointestinal problems including constipation. It can also be given to those who did not have the chance to acquire the prebiotics and probiotics from maternal vagina and breastmilk. Uniquely, the powder can be mixed with plain water, milk, or fruit juice, thus making the product to be high compliance in guarding the gut of your little ones.
Find out more about A. B. Junior Pre & Pro