5 Tips to Minimize 5 Common Gastrointestinal Upset
May 12, 2023
Having go through the day with gastrointestinal upsets could be very distracting and leaving one feeling frustrated. To add, one may need to take a rain check from social events like birthday celebration or road trips just to recover.
The good news is there are simple and accessible solutions for some common gastrointestinal upset. Let’s explore the 5 tips to minimize unpleasant symptoms so that you do not miss the important moments in your life.
1. Antispasmodics/ spasmolytics for irritable bowel syndromes (IBS)
Antispasmodics/ spasmolytics are a group of medicines that relief muscle spasm to reduce abdominal pain and cramps in gastrointestinal disorder like irritable bowel syndrome (IBS). Check with your healthcare professionals and explore choices of modern antispasmodics with minimal side effects to suit your health conditions.
2. Anti-inflammatory treatment for inflammatory bowel disease (IBD)
Anti-inflammatory drugs are often the first step in treatment of inflammatory bowel disease (IBD). The treatment strategy aims to relieve the symptoms and prevent them returning. Seek medical advice and ask about the best options.
3. Yeastbiotic for Traveler’s diarrhea
Numerous studies have provided evidence that yeastbiotics are effective in food poisoning and diarrhea, especially traveler’s diarrhea. In fact, some yeastbiotic is a useful addition to the treatment of acute diarrhoea in children to reduce the frequency of stool and duration of illness.
4. Diet adjustment & laxatives for constipation
A change in diet can improve bowel movement, for example taking high-fiber foods and drinking plenty of water. If the constipation is severe and other treatments have not worked, please check with your health care professionals for over-the-counter laxatives.
5. Anti-flatulence for bloating
Anti-flatulence formulation helps in easing the removal of excessive gas in the stomach and intestines by changing the surface tension of the gas bubbles. Some formulation can provide symptomatic relief within 30 minutes.
- Annaházi, Anita et al. World journal of gastroenterology vol. 20,20 (2014): 6031-43. doi:10.3748/wjg.v20.i20.6031
- Inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/inflammatory-bowel-disease/diagnosis-treatment/drc-20353320#:~:text=Anti%2Dinflammatories%20include%20aminosalicylates%2C%20such,%2Dinflammatory%2C%20steroids%20are%20immunosuppressing
- Inflammatory bowel disease https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/inflammatory-bowel-disease/
- Saccharomyces boulardii probiotics: What to know https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/saccharomyces-boulardii-probiotic
- Billoo, A G et al. World journal of gastroenterology vol. 12,28 (2006): 4557-60. doi:10.3748/wjg.v12.i28.4557
- Treatment for Constipation https://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-information/digestive-diseases/constipation/treatment