Are You Suffering from Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia (BPH)?
What is Benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH)
Benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) or non-cancerous prostate gland enlargement is a common issue for men above the age of 40. About one-third of men experience moderate to severe symptoms by 60s, and about half by 80s. Thus, it is advised to go for regular medical check-up especially those with family history of BPH.
Prostate is a walnut-sized gland that produces semen, located beneath your bladder. As men age, the prostate gland tends to speed up the conversion of testosterone (male hormone) into dihydrotestosterone (DHT- by-product of the testosterone breakdown). Overproduction of DHT may cause prostate enlargement, which presses the urethra leading to lower urinary tract symptoms, such as:
- Frequent urination and/or night urination
- Difficult in postponing urination
- Weak urinary stream
- Problem in starting or maintaining urination
What is Saw Palmetto?
Saw palmetto is a type of palm tree and the berries of the plant are traditionally used to improve urinary and reproductive health among men. It was found to work via several mechanisms, including:
- Reduce the production of DHT
- Prevent DHT accumulation
- Reduce inflammation
Fun fact: Saw palmetto may help in DHT-related baldness (i.e. hair loss due to high level of DHT hormone) among men as well!
Find out more about Saw Palmetto
- Suzuki, M., Ito, Y., Fujino, T., Abe, M., Umegaki, K., Onoue, S., Noguchi, H. and Yamada, S., 2009. Pharmacological effects of saw palmetto extract in the lower urinary tract. Acta Pharmacologica Sinica, 30(3), pp.271-281