Healthify Your Liver With These 3 Key Nutrients
Liver – the largest internal organ with at least 500 vital functions1, acting like a factory in our body, yet it is always get neglected. This is because, liver is a silent organ – we could not see the damage in an early stage. At the later stage, our liver will start to scream and shows a few noticeable signs such as jaundice, sensitive/itchy skin, abdominal swelling, and fluid retention2. These has been described in our previous article: Signs of Liver Damage
The Liver Protection Nutrients
In conjunction with the World Hepatitis Day on 28 July, in this article, we would like to further explain on the 3 key nutrients which can help to improve our liver health.
- Essential phospholipids (to repair, regenerate, and reverse)
Our liver is unique – it has the capability to regenerate itself, just like a lizard’s tail. Essential phospholipids serve as a building blocks for the liver, thus enable it to repair, regenerate, and eventually reverse to a healthy state. Several studies had demonstrated that the consumption of essential phospholipids may significantly improve fatty liver condition and help to normalize liver function parameters3.
- B vitamins (for energy conversion and detoxification)
Generally, B vitamins are well known for their function to convert food into energy. In fact, with sufficient B vitamins, fat will be able to breakdown into energy, hence preventing fat accumulation in the liver. The other function of B vitamins is to enhance the production of liver internal antioxidant – the glutathione4. Glutathione will further assist in converting fat soluble toxins into water soluble toxins. This will facilitate the removal of toxins in the form of stool and urine.
- Vitamin E (as an antioxidant)
Everyday, we are confronting with thousands of foreign substances which may expose our body to free radicals, the unstable molecules. To counter this, vitamin E serves as the external source of antioxidants, to neutralize the free radicals by donating their electrons. When free radicals are stable, there will be no chance for them to harm our liver cells.
Healthy Lifestyle for Healthy Liver
The intake of these 3 liver protection nutrients is best to be paired with healthy lifestyle.
- Eat balanced, moderate, and variety foods within your recommended intake
- Maintain an ideal body weight accordingly a healthy body mass index (BMI)
- Be physically active for at least 30 minutes per day for 5 times in a week
- Get to your bed before 11pm to maximize liver detoxification at night
- Limit the intake of alcohol beverages and quit smoking
Likewise your heart, liver is a vital organ. Do not take the ‘big guy’ for granted. Start to appreciating it with Livolin Forte! Livolin Forte contains essential phospholipids, B vitamins, and vitamin E – the nutrients that our liver needs to perform to its max. Together with it, practice a healthy lifestyle to healthify your liver.
Happy World Hepatitis Day!
- The Liver and Its Functions: Columbia University Department of Surgery. The Liver and Its Functions | Center for Liver Disease & Transplantation | Columbia University Department of Surgery. (n.d.). https://columbiasurgery.org/liver/liver-and-its-functions
- Signs of Liver Damage – Mega BiO. LiFE. (2021, April 27). https://biolife.com.my/health-tips/liver-health/signs-of-liver-damage/
- Gundermann, K.-J., Kuenker, A., Kuntz, E., & Droździk, M. (2011). Activity of essential phospholipids (EPL) from soybean in liver diseases. Pharmacological Reports, 63(3), 643–659.