Calcium & magnesium are not just for bones – Regulation of muscles, nerves, circulation and hormones

Jun 2, 2016


About 99 percent of calcium in your body is held in the bones and teeth. The remaining 1 percent circulates in the bloodstream, where it performs a variety of important functions.


Apart from their known roles in the formation of bones and teeth, the combination of calcium and magnesium is intimately involved with many other vital body functions

  • Helps in the transmission of nerve messages and calming the nervous system
  • Controls muscle contractions and reducing muscle cramps or numbness
  • Promotes better sleep quality
  • Regulates blood pressure and serum cholesterol levels
  • Regulates heart beat and promotes blood flow
  • Activation of certain enzymes for digestion
  • Plays a role in blood clotting and wound-healing
  • Regulates hormonal and enzymatic production and activity (digestion, energy production, fat metabolism)
  • Reduces Pre-Menstrual Syndrome (PMS) symptoms


Calcium and magnesium deficiencies have been linked with PMS and painful periods, difficulty sleeping, common pregnancy complaints, leg cramps, and decreased exercise capacity. Therefore, supplementing with a formula of calcium and magnesium in the ratio of 2:1 provides synergistic effects and is helpful to prevent muscular, nerve, circulatory and hormonal irregularities.