In the heart of health: Power your life
Power your life
Our heart powers our whole body. It lets us love, laugh and live our life to the fullness. Thus, it is so important to care for it to avoid putting ourselves at risk of cardiovascular disease (CVD), which include heart disease and stroke.
- The No. 1 cause of death worldwide with 17.5 million premature death each year.
- And by 2030, the total number of CVD deaths are predicted to rise to 23 million.
- The annual global deaths from CVDs for South-East Asia recorded over 3.6 million, right after Europe and Western Pacific countries at the top.
- Heart disease and stroke cause a third of all deaths in women worldwide.
- Many CVDs are preventable by addressing simple daily life modifications, such as dietary habits, physical activities and quit smoking.
|Fuel your heart||Move your heart||Love your heart|
|Eating and drinking well give our heart the fuel it needs for us to live our life||Stay active can help us reduce our risk of CVD||Stop smoking is the best thing we can do to improve our heart fitness|
Know your …
Blood sugar levels
- CVD accounts about 60% of all death in people with diabetes
- If diabetes is left undiagnosed and untreated, it can cause one at increased risk of heart disease and stroke
- High blood pressure is the No. 1 risk factor for CVDs – a ‘silent killer’
Cholesterol levels & BMI
- High cholesterol is associated with nearly 4 million deaths per year
- Obesity is also caused one at significant increased risk of CVDs
- World Heart Federation. 2016. World Heart Day: At the heart of health – Power your life. [Retrieved from http://worldheartday.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/WHDLeaflet_crop_bleed.pdf, 24 August 2016].
- World Health Organization. 2016. Tobacco Free Initiative (TFI): Fact sheet about health benefits of smoking cessation. [Retrieved from http://www.who.int/tobacco/quitting/benefits/en/, 24 August 2016].